UbiComp/ISWC Broadening Participation 2015
Ubicomp/ISWC 2015 will host a Broadening Participation Workshop for student participants. This event is intended to increase the involvement of women, all students from developing countries, and underrepresented minorities, including people with disabilities, in the field of ubiquitous and wearable computing.
Applications will not be accepted after June 12, 2015, 11:59 PM PDT
Selected candidates will be notified on or before July 1st
Workshop will be held Tuesday Sept 8th at UbiComp/ISWC 2015.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Unfortunately we have been experiencing some email issues, please email ajbrush at Microsoft dot com if email to firstname.lastname@example.org bounces.
Upload your research statement: Please use the following
, maximum two pages.
Your Research statement should include
1) A brief biographical sketch including the names and affiliations of the research advisors, the program in which the student is enrolled, the date that the student enrolled in the program, and the expected date of completion (1 paragraph).
2) A statement of your objectives for attending the Broadening Participation workshop and how you think it will help you in your studies and career (1 paragraph).
3) A description of your current or planned research topic. This section should describe what part of the research has already been completed (if any) and what research activities are planned for the rest of the studies.
4) An indication of whether you would like to present in the student poster session if accepted to participate in the workshop. Please note that we cannot guarantee a presentation space to all accepted participants at this time; decisions about presentations at the poster session will be made depending on space and time constraints, and the number of participants.
Please provide a
statement explaining how you and/or your work add to the diversity of ubicomp and wearable computing
Workshop Funding Support
Would you like to apply for funding support:
No (skip the rest of the questions and submit the application)
Our aim is to provide funding assistance to the majority of our attendees to cover
- Workshop registration
- Your travel to Osaka (e.g. train, flight)
- Ground transportation to the hotel from airport by train
- 2 nights in a shared hotel room
We have limited funds, and so we need you to provide information on how much funding you need to travel (e.g. train, flight) from your location to Osaka. Please also investigate whether you can get funding from your institution or advisor to cover part of the costs.
How much will it cost to travel to Osaka from your location?
We may also have some limited funding to cover the additional costs for attending UbiComp/ISWC 2015 (conference registration and additional hotel nights) for some students. We also strongly encourage students to apply to be student volunteers. (Apply
Would you like to apply for additional funding support to attend UbiComp/ISWC 2015.
Some of our funding sources require that we prioritize certain groups (e.g., certain gender or ethnic minorities, and so on). We will not use the following questions to decide who is accepted to the workshop, merely how they are funded.
Gender (please use whatever label is appropriate for you):
Country of Citizenship (e.g. Japan, U.S., Switzerland, ...)
If you are a member of an ethnic minority group in your country, please tell us which group.
Disability Status: Please indicate your disability status by checking all that apply, using the categories below. These categories are provided by the Computing Research Association and provide one taxonomy of abilities. However, we recognize that other labels may be more appropriate. Thus, Other is also an option.
Vision impairment (beyond wearing glasses/contacts)
Prefer not to say
Please provide any additional information you believe is pertinent to this workshop. Note that for most people, this section will be left blank.
Do Not Fill This Out