UbiComp / ISWC 2014 Student Volunteer Application
Thank you for your interest in the UbiComp / ISWC 2014 Student Volunteer (SV) program. Use this form to apply for a position as a student volunteer.
Applications will not be accepted after June 1, 2014 at 11:59pm PDT.
As a Student Volunteer, you get several benefits, including:
• Free registration to UbiComp / ISWC 2014
• An exclusive student volunteer t-shirt
• Unique opportunities to get in contact with great researchers and make new friends
• Free access to all conference meals and the conference dinner
• Invitation to the exclusive SV party near the end of the conference!
At the same time, being an SV means that you have several responsibilities:
• You are required to work for at least 20 hours during the conference
• You are required to be present at the workshop / conference venue for the entire duration of the conference: Saturday, Sept. 13 early morning through Wednesday, Sept. 17 evening (we recommend that you arrive in Seattle by Friday evening and stay until Thursday morning)
• You are required to attend the SV orientation meeting on Saturday, Sept. 13
• If you fail to attend the SV orientation meeting or do not work the required minimum amount of hours, your SV status will be revoked; this will result in loss of all SV benefits, including free registration – i.e., you will be required to pay the registration fees
If you require financial assistance to help cover the cost of travel, please apply to the
Student Travel Grant
and indicate on your application that you also applied to be an SV. Ubicomp / ISWC is committed to being an accessible event, please see
our Accessibility Statement
. We are very happy to make reasonable accommodations on request for S.V's who are selected.
Please complete the following form to apply for a student volunteer position. Note that applying for this position does not guarantee that you will be a student volunteer. The chosen candidates for SV positions will be notified on or before July 1, 2014.
Type of Student
1st Year PhD Student
2nd Year PhD Student
3rd Year PhD Student
4+ Years in PhD Program
Select which research community you identify with:
Both UbiComp and ISWC
Previous Years at Conference:
Enter the number of times that you have attended UbiComp, Pervasive and/or ISWC in the past.
Select yes if you are an author on a UbiComp 2014 or ISWC 2014 submission
Other UbiComp / ISWC Student Programs:
Check the boxes below corresponding to the other UbiComp / ISWC applications that you will be applying to this year.
UbiComp/ISWC Doctoral School
Student Travel Grants
Broadening Participation Workshop
None of the above
Reasons for Being an SV:
Please explain why you want to be an SV for UbiComp / ISWC 2014 as well as your qualifications for the SV duties.
We need SVs with a variety of different skills, so to help us build a great team, please list and describe any skills or experience you have that could contribute to the SV jobs at UbiComp / ISWC in Seattle. For example, do you have any skills or experience with A/V equipment, networking, fashion shows, helping people with accessibility issues, installing exhibitions, dressing mannequins, and/or building models and signage. Have you lived in Seattle before (when and for how long)?
Previous SV Experience:
Describe any previous student volunteer experience. List the conference and year which you were an SV as well as a brief description of your duties.
List all languages you speak as well as your competency in each.
Do Not Fill This Out